Getting injured may leave you frustrated and depressed. Work-related injuries may be major and can make you disabled for several weeks. If you are severely injured while performing your job, you might not be able to continue your job on a temporary or permanent basis. The only good part is that you can file for compensation because the federal government has facilitated employees with workers’ compensation insurance. You can get in touch with a workers’ compensation lawyer in Virginia Beach, who is familiar with these laws and guide you in a better manner.
Overall duties of a workers’ compensation lawyer
A workers’ compensation lawyer is a legal professional, who specializes in employment laws and has enough experience in workers’ compensation lawsuits. Some of the duties of this lawyer are mentioned below:
- Performing legal research on the matter after the client has hired him.
- Interacting with officials including the employer, his insurance company and medical experts
- Gathering evidence pertaining to the case such as medical reports from the doctor, and details of the accident such as time, date and place.
- Contacting witnesses to obtain their statements about the accident
- Drafting various legal documents such as notices, agreements and claims
- Attaching the relevant documents along with the workers’ compensation claim to avoid rejection
One of the primary reasons for the rejection of the claim is the lack of medical evidence. An attorney ensures that you obtain all the supporting documents before you submit the claim. He even follows up with the employer as well as the insurance company to make the process faster.
Specific duties of a lawyer for his clients
After a client has hired an attorney, he has to work on several tasks for that specific case. Some of these tasks include:
- He guides the client depending on the case facts including his actions for the case, how he should go about filing the case and what to specify in the claim.
- He can calculate a fair amount of compensation after carefully assessing the injuries and medical condition of the claimant. He also takes into account the losses such as income loss, loss of benefits, entertainment and his ability to earn.
- In case, the employer is not willing to pay the right amount, he can proceed with a lawsuit.
If you want to increase the chances of winning the case, you must hire a qualified and knowledgeable attorney.