If you garden room is not very big, or you prefer to let your garden be well-arranged and colorful, then build a vertical garden! Vine plants grow by climbing trees and walls, so they are easily guided to climb your trellis.
Choose a Vertical Garden Trellis
Order a trellis. Trellis is usually made of criss-crossed woods, so that vines and plants can climb upward through the gaps between the woods. Or the simple and economical way is to buy some poles and then insert poles into ground for vines to climb.
Utilize your own vertical elements. If you don’t want to spend any money, don’t want to buy trellis, maybe you can utilize some tools you already have to build vertical garden.
* A tree. You can guide vines grow around tree. What kind of tree is best to be used as this purpose? The suitable one is that branches already stretched about 6.5 ft.
* Poles. If you have straight poles around your house, you can use them to build a sturdy basement. If no, other similar stocky sticks can replace the poles.
* Fence. Any fence can provide a suitable structure for vertical garden.
Establish your own trellis. You can get your own vertical garden structure by using woods. How to build a vertical garden about 6.5 ft high structure, below are the steps:
1. Use rosewood and cedar to create a box-like structure with a bottom of 2 square ft and a height of 0.9 ft, or 2 × 6s after pressure treatment. Pin a 8 ft pressure treated 2 × 2s box on the center of the box back and one corner nail, a 6 ft high 2 × 2s box on the other corner nail, and a 1.5 ft box on the back of both sides box 2 × 2s tall.
2. We can start at the top of the box, pre-drill holes every 0.5 ft and secure with glue and screws. Extend the 1 × 2s box by at least 1 inch to reduce the risk of box cracking.
3. Add the platform by screwing a 3 ft high 1 × 2s box, then attach a 1 × 2s box to create a mini platform.
4. Add a 6 ft tall 2 × 2s platform in the front center, and secure into the crossrail with screws.
5. Add a 1 × 4 crossbar on top of the longest 2 × 2s box. Attach a birds’ nest to the crossbar.
6. Use soil to fill shelves and then plant vines, and guide vines to climb into the trellis and grow tall. Last, you can add other plant pots or baskets to decorate trellis.
Select Suitable Plants
Plant vegetables vertically. Many types of vegetables and beans are a kind of climbing plants, which can be the first option to build vertical garden. Peas and soybeans are naturally entwined on stakes and trellis, and many of them also bloom beautifully in spring. Here are some tips:
* Plant runner beans. It will attract hummingbird and bloom red or white flowers.
* It is suggested to grow tomatoes in your vertical garden. In order to grow healthy and set more fruits, tomatoes must grow vertically. You will also harvest more juicy tomatoes in summer.
Create A Vertical garden full filled with vines and flowers. If you’re fond of establishing an amazing garden — walk through with your lovers and breath the fragrance of flowers — then plant grow upwardly flowers and vines. Make sure to choose plants that grow well in your specific area.
* Morning glory grow fastly and healthy, and bloom bright flowers in different colors.
* Chinese wistaria is one of the most popular option in vertical garden, It sets purple flowers spreading pleasing aroma.
* English ivy can be an enjoyable green background for colorful flowers.
* Rose vines bring a romantic feelings to your vertical garden.
Build natural vertical garden, it is recommended to plant soybeans, squash and corn together. Native Americans grew the three vegetables together because they work so well. Corn provides support for soybeans and squashes to climb upward.
Start to Build Garden
1. Choose an area. Same as the other types garden, vertical garden should be arranged in an area which has soil in good drainage ability, shade and sunlight. You should be clear that what kind of conditions your plants need and then choose a suitable area starting.
* Most vertical garden will grow very well in an area which can get sunlight at least 6 hours.
* If you want your vertical garden climbing wall, then choose a place against a wall.
2. Make sure your garden structure is durable. Remember bury shelves deeply as you can if you are using trellis, woods or poles, so that the structure won’t shake or fall down. Because garden weights will become heavy gradually when you grow plants, so the structure needs a stable basement against the weather.
3. Planting around the bottom of the structure. Taking into account the individual needs of the plants you are using, place seeds or seedlings in holes and around the bottom of trellises, poles or other structures. Make sure those structures or plants won’t be too narrow, so plants have enough room to grow and stretch roots.
4. Take care plants according to plants’ needs. Make sure plants get enough moisture and nutrition, using film to protect plants and taking other measures to keep them grow healthily.
5. Guide plants. When seedlings grow several inches high, it’s time to guide them climb the structure you established. Entwine plant stems around the bottom of the structure.
* Don’t entwine stems over tightly. It will hinder plants’ growth and damage them.
* When stems begin to entwine the tomato cage or trellis, continue to use plant clips or string to guide their growth way.
Apart from that if you want to know about A Glimpse Into The Concept Of Raised Bed Gardening then visit our home improvement category.